WE MUST SAVE WBAI & PACIFICA, TO FOCUS ON THE REAL ENEMY!
When independent listeners and staff gained a majority on the WBAI Local Board a few years ago and helped to put in place new management, we inherited deep financial and organizational problems that are finally being addressed — hopefully, it’s not too little too late! Pacifica, which owns WBAI’s license (as well as others in Berkeley, Houston, Washington D.C., and Los Angeles), has sent out a request for proposals (RFP) for leasing the station, and has received 10 proposals that the members of the Pacifica National Board are now considering.
TakeForwardWBAI is organizing with kindred members throughout the network. We say:
FIX THE PROBLEMS AND STRENGTHEN THE NETWORK, DON’T BREAK IT UP!
The station is in desperate shape financially.
- We had to run a month-long emergency fundraiser to pay for the antenna atop the Empire State Building, which costs $50,000 per month.
- We finally forced the station to move out of Wall Street (saving around $30,000 per month).
- We’ve moved the administrative offices to Atlantic Avenue, Brooklyn,
- We’re looking to build studios in that building, and re-unite the administrative and broadcast arms at one location.
- We’re exploring ways to use WBAI’s new website to expand the station’s reach.
- We’re seeking volunteers to help out at all facets of the station’s operations, especially, right now, to get out the premiums that listeners have already ordered and paid for.
WBAI needs your help! Please contact VOLUNTEER@WBAI.org, and we’ll get back to you promptly. And ….. thank you!